The Office of Undergraduate Admissions welcomed a new freshman college admissions counselor, alumna Michelle Miller. She works to support prospective students and their families through the college admission process.
Want to learn more about UST Admissions? Click here!
1. What is your typical day like as a University of St. Thomas admissions counselor?
Much of my day is spent speaking with students and their family. Meetings can occur at college fairs, high school visits or here on campus. My goal is to help students figure out if the University of St. Thomas is a good fit and offer college admission assistance to prospective students. Many of the conversations focus on how the University can be the perfect place to achieve their academic and personal goals.
2. Why did you become a college admissions counselor at UST?
Honestly, I was looking for greater job satisfaction – something more meaningful. As an admissions counselor I know that the work that I’m doing is a part of something bigger, I get to help students from inside the college admissions process. The UST Undergraduate Admissions Office is the first step in providing opportunities for students to grow and make an impact in the world. I’m inspired by individuals who seek to be life-long learners. Every individual has the potential to infinitely learn and grow. I strive this for myself and hope to encourage others to do the same through this role.
3. What are some ways you can help students in the UST college admissions process?
As a counselor, I’m here to make the admission process for college easy. I want to inform students and parents about the college admissions process so that they can fulfill their dreams. I can also connect you to subject matter experts! Regardless of the information you are seeking, if I can’t answer the question – I will find someone with the answer. Whether it’s speaking to a professor or faculty member about a specific class, program or opportunity – let me connect you!
4. What is your favorite part about being an admissions counselor?
Seeing the Admissions Office’s work in action simply my walking around campus. I also enjoy learning about all areas of study and new initiatives in order to educate students about their potential here at UST.
5. What kind of student do you look for to be a good fit for St. Thomas?
Hard working individuals will fit right in. College is challenging and you will never have all of the answers, but as long as you work hard and dream big, you will be successful!
6. What are some different questions to ask a college admissions counselor?
As a freshman college admissions counselor it’s my job to help prospective students determine if St. Thomas is a good fit for them. There are several different questions students can ask to help educate themselves, here are some example questions:
- What are the college admission requirements at the University of St. Thomas?
- What are the most popular majors at the University of St. Thomas?
- What are the average class sizes at St. Thomas University?
- What are the different types of clubs/organizations on campus?
- What are some of the important deadlines for applying?
7. What do you like to do for fun in your downtime?
In my downtime, I like to spend time discovering new places to eat. I love food and Houston has a lot of it – it’s great to find delicious food especially at the most unexpected places.
Michelle Miller is a freshman university admissions counselor at the University of St. Thomas. As a graduate of the University, she is grateful for the opportunities, resources, experiences and support she received here. She is proud to work for an institution dedicated to the pursuit of truth and academic excellence in the Catholic intellectual tradition. Michelle wants to make the process as informative and easy as possible, so contact her to today to visit UST’s beautiful campus to see if it is the right fit for you!
Other Helpful Resources: