The Next Big Yes! Changed My Way Of Thinking

By Jose Cervantes– My volunteer experience as an administrative assistant in the finance and accounting department at the San Jose Clinic in Houston, Texas offers me engagement in real world matters as well as real-world business experiences. When I started, I was unsure of what to expect in a real-world business environment. As months passed, I learned how to adjust accounts receivable and accounts payable transaction accounts during my volunteer experience. I will receive my Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Finance from the University of St. Thomas in May 2015, and I am proud to say that I am prepared for the business world.

What To Do Before Graduating

As I approached graduation, one of my first questions was what is the necessary skill set for success in real-world business? I knew that I had acquired many important skills in my education at UST. One of the many skills I learned during my educational experiences at the Cameron School of Business was the particular vocabulary of financial accounting. Every detail in a Journal entry is key to addressing accounting matters within the organization. However, along with the many skills I acquired in my education, I knew that I needed business experience.

Learning About Myself In A Short Period Of Time

I realized I lacked experience in the field of finance that I needed to create opportunities for myself once I graduated. I also realized that gaining experience in a short period of time was going to be a challenge for me, so I decided to make use of all the skills I have acquired from the University of St. Thomas and work for my experience. From my analysis, I knew what position I should apply for- San Jose Clinic.

Getting Out Of My Comfort Zone And Learning How To Say Yes

Saying “Yes” to volunteering at a non-profit organization allows me the opportunity to learn every-day operations in managing assets, liabilities, and ownership equity in the distinct field of non-profit finance. The best part about the San Jose Clinic is that you obtain new skills and are trained by friendly and patient individuals, who want you to learn and be part of the San Jose Team.

Giving it Back

Saying yes to volunteering shows me how the gift of giving back truly makes for a more humble individual. Every time I step foot in the office I am reminded that giving back is a gift. I am now able give a small portion back to the place that lent me a hand when I was in need. Mother Teresa said, “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” San Jose Clinic has shown me that it’s not how much you can give but how you make the difference in people’s lives that counts.

Caring Non-profit

While volunteering at the San Jose Clinic in March I received an award for Volunteer of the month. Volunteering for only a few months, I was not expecting to receive an award for helping. A person would only expect a simple thank you, but this non-profit went above and beyond. Through this I’m reminded that saying yes to volunteering at a non-profit changes your way of viewing life and the lives of others.

Jose Cervantes
University of St. Thomas, BBA – Finance 2015

share this post

Community

Discipline

Goodness

Knowledge

Never miss an update...

Subscribe to the CSB Blog!