FAQ

UST’s CeltCare team is committed to providing assistance, guidance and support during this challenging time after Hurricane Harvey. Below is a series of frequently asked questions. Click on any question to view its answer. Check back often. Questions will be updated continuously.

If you have a question not listed here, please call our CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 or email CeltCare@stthom.edu (UST students, please include your full name and UST ID# to help speed a response to you).

FAQ Categories:

Academics Donations Enrollment Finances Residence life Resources Volunteering

Academics

I’ve lost my books in the storm. Can the University replace them?

We understand there has been loss and we’re in the process of raising funds through our CeltCare give campus campaign so that we can provide as much assistance as possible.

Have the add and drop dates for classes changed or been extended?

The last day to add or drop without academic penalty will be Tuesday, September 12.

What if my night class causes me to be out past curfew in my city?

Houston has extended curfew to midnight. We recognize other areas have varying curfew times. Authorities have indicated those traveling to and from work and with other reasonable purposes will be fine. We recommend carrying a copy of your course syllabus or schedule when traveling. If you are still concerned, UST will be happy to provide you a document indicating you’re traveling back from school.

Donations

I’d like to make a donation to help UST students in need. How can I do so?

Who will my donation benefit?

The #CeltCare Hurricane Harvey Student Relief Fund has been set up with the specific purpose of assisting UST students who have been impacted by the storm.

I have room at my house. Can I take in a UST family in need?

A survey has been emailed to all UST faculty, staff and students so we can determine the availability of such resources and match them up to needs that exist. Please make sure you’ve completed and emailed back that survey. If you did not receive the survey, please contact our CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 during business hours (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.) or email CeltCare@stthom.edu with all pertinent details.

Enrollment

Will my professors work with me if I can’t get back for the start of classes?

Yes. Please contact your professor directly. You can find their contact information through the University of St. Thomas directory. Please also be sure to check your stthom.edu email in case your professor has already contacted you.

I don’t know when I can return to campus. What can I do?

If you are challenged by loss, please call the CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 during business hours (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)  or email CeltCare@stthom.edu (UST students, please include your full name and UST ID# to help speed a response to you). We will do everything we can to accommodate you.

Finances

My tuition has been paid but now, I may need financial aid. Can I still apply?

Yes. Please call the CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 during business hours (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)  or email CeltCare@stthom.edu (UST students, please include your full name and UST ID# to help speed a response to you). We will work with you and help you understand your options.

You can also see the business office or the financial aid office. We will do everything we can to accommodate you.

On my payment plan, can I now delay payments or extend them?

The first tuition payment was originally scheduled for Tuesday, September 5. It has been moved back to Thursday, October 5. All subsequent payments have also been moved back 30 days from their original due date.

For more information, please call the CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 during business hours (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)  or email CeltCare@stthom.edu (UST students, please include your full name and UST ID# to help speed a response to you). We will work with you and help you understand your options.

You can also visit this page for specific information on how to make payments.

I want to remain enrolled but need financial assistance. What can I do?

Please call the CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 during business hours (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)  or email CeltCare@stthom.edu (UST students, please include your full name and UST ID# to help speed a response to you). We will work with you to help you understand your options.

Residence Life

Is UST going to consider housing 3 people in a residence hall room?

Yes. We are already doing this as needed.

I can no longer live in a residence hall this fall. Can you accommodate me?

Yes. Please contact our CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 during business hours (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.) or email CeltCare@stthom.edu  (UST students, please include your full name and UST ID# to help speed a response to you)

Resources

I’m having difficulty and need support. What resources does UST have?

We have robust resources in place including campus ministry and counseling services. We also have an employee assistance program available to faculty and staff. Please call our CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 during business hours (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.) or email CeltCare@stthom.edu (UST students, please include your full name and UST ID# to help speed a response to you)

Do you have a list of community resources available for support?

Please refer to the official FEMA page or Houston Recovers for the most up-to-date Hurricane Harvey resources.

You may also wish to reference this Hurricane Harvey Response Guide from Houston law firm, Baker Botts.

I have no transportation. What options are available?

METRO is offering free rides to area students for the entire month of September. You might also consider connecting with friends and family on social media or exploring rideshare options such as Uber and Lyft.

Is there a UST community member who can provide shelter to my family?

A survey has been emailed to all UST faculty, staff and students so we can determine such needs and the resources available to address them. Please make sure you have completed and emailed back that survey.

Volunteering

I want to volunteer. What are the needs and how can I help?

If you’re interested in supporting the Greater Houston community at-large, please contact Catholic Charities at (713) 526-4611, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

If you’d like to support UST community members in need of assistance, please call our CeltCare hotline at (713) 942-3451 during business hours (M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.) or email CeltCare@stthom.edu (UST students, please include your full name and UST ID# to help speed a response to you)