Be Bold Blog
The University of St. Thomas (UST) is Houston’s Catholic University, committed to the Catholic intellectual tradition and the dialogue between faith and reason. Our blog is dedicated to helping you explore your future career possibilities and how to make the most of your college experience.
5 Fascinating Facts About the University of St. Thomas Houston
If you’re considering enrolling at the University of St. Thomas Houston (UST), you’re likely looking for more information on the school and what it offers. Regardless of what it was that first caught your attention, there’s a lot more below the surface that makes us who we are as a campus community.
Keep reading to familiarize yourself with UST and what you can expect as a student here.
5 Things to know about UST
The following facts help tell the story of who we are as an institution and how we support our students.
1. Our motto is “Crescamus in Christo”
“Crescamus In Christo” translates to “May we grow in Christ.” UST was founded by the Basilian Fathers—a Catholic order of priests devoted to goodness—discipline and knowledge. Their mission was not meant to be only for the select few but to serve many.
UST’s Catholic identity has shaped and informed our programs and teaching since the university was founded by the Basilian Fathers in 1947. Our institution is meant to embody the principles of Ex Corde Ecclesiae, i.e., the religious, ethical and intellectual traditions of Catholic higher education.
We welcome undergraduate and graduate students of all faiths and no faith. Curious to learn more? Read “Exploring the Benefits of Catholic Education.”
2. Our student-to-faculty ratio is 13:1
Would you rather learn psychology in a 300-person lecture hall or a classroom with a dozen or so of your peers? The average undergraduate class size at UST is 20 students, which provides many advantages for participants. Learn more about these perks in our article, “4 Benefits of Smaller Class Sizes in College.”
Our student-to-faculty ratio of just 13:1 allows learners to get the personal attention they need to thrive. UST classes are taught by professors—not teaching assistants—and every undergraduate student is matched with an online success coach upon enrollment.
3. 96% of UST grads are employed within 6 months of graduation
Our number one goal is building an inclusive and caring environment that sets students and alumni up for success. The results speak for themselves: 96% of our students find jobs within six months of graduation.
While it is impossible to list all the factors that contribute to the success of our alumni, there are five key student resources worth mentioning:
- Academic advising – Every student has an assigned academic advisor who is there to answer their questions. Advisors are there to help create a degree plan so you get the most out of your education and graduate in a timely manner.
- Counseling services – We provide confidential counseling services from licensed mental health professionals at no cost to students. On average, UST students attend about five counseling sessions a year.
- Tutorial Services Center – Even if you are already doing well in a class, you might still benefit from a tutoring session. Our tutors are here to assist all UST students (undergraduate and graduate), alumni and seminarians. It is 100% free, and each session lasts at least 30 minutes.
- Athletics and recreation – Whether your goal is fitness or fun, moving your body is good for your physical and mental health. The Jerabeck Activity and Athletic Center provides ample facilities and programming opportunities for all UST students, faculty and staff. We also offer team sports, group classes and clubs.
- Career Services Center – UST has dedicated staff to help students and alumni plan for their futures in the workforce. Whether it’s exploring potential careers or finding the perfect senior internship, our career services professionals are here to help.
4. Our student body is extremely diverse, much like the city of Houston
UST is one of very few universities that has the rare distinction of being both an Asian Serving Institution (ASI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). In fact, 73% of our students are people of color.
Other interesting facts about our student body include:
- UST currently enrolls 3,765 students (2,463 undergraduate and 1,302 graduate).
- UST students come from 30 states and 61 countries.
- UST students worship in at least 13 different religions, including Baptist, Buddhist, Methodist, Hindu, Protestant, Mormon, Jewish and more.
Our campus is located in Houston’s Museum District and Innovation Corridor, a diverse and vibrant urban neighborhood. We’re just steps from downtown and the famed Texas Medical Center, where many students land prestigious internships. Read more about our mission and vision. Houston is the third largest city in the United States and the most diverse in the entire country.
5. UST has nearly 100 student-led clubs
Getting involved is one of the best ways to meet friends and make your college experience memorable. We pride ourselves on our thriving campus culture—there’s always something to do if you’re so inclined.
You can try any of the nearly 100 student groups to find the right one(s) for you. These include:
- Student leadership orgs
- Varsity athletics
- Ethnic clubs
- Academic clubs
- Honor societies
- Sports clubs
- Professional associations
Join the Celt community
For more than 75 years, UST has been equipping and empowering students like you for impactful careers in medicine, education, business, public administration and more. Our graduates are making their mark throughout Texas and across the globe.
If you’re ready to follow in their footsteps, take the next step to explore our programs and find your perfect fit.
Ready to take the next step?
The University of St. Thomas (UST) is Houston’s Catholic University, committed to the religious, ethical and intellectual traditions of Catholic higher education. For more than 70 years, we’ve been graduating students like you into successful careers in medicine, education, business, public administration and more – throughout Houston and across the globe.